Thursday, April 7, 2011

Roxie's Corner or a border collie's diary

Roxie, the Border Collie has let us know that if we are going to blog she deserves equal time, so Roxie's corner will appear occasionally to allow her more self-expression.  I did warn her that it would be edited for content and bias.

Roxie says: Life as a cow dog in Arizona on a 3 cow outfit doesn't exactly make full use of my excellent disposition, training or energy level, so my exercise program has expanded from making laps around the lower turn-out (which was getting boring since those cowardly rabbits began running under the fence before I could even spot them) to accompanying Betty on her walks down the road in the morning.  My job as guard dog, critter chaser and sniffer outer of news stories as they break is not as intellectually stimulating as herding cows, but it beats hanging around the kennel all morning.

It was a lovely spring morning in the desert, with plenty of smells to investigate, birds to spook, fenced in dogs to tease (eat your heart out prisoners) and no cars for miles.  There were a few rattle snakes around, but I avoid them and don't tell Betty when they are around.  What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

My human is a bit on the lazy side since her winter walking buddy left for Texas and parts north, so there isn't much to report on this morning.  We did walk far enough to visit with that good-looking German Shepherd on the corner of the Cochise Stronghold road, but she put me on the leash so fast that there was hardly time for more than a quick hello.  I thought at first that crossing paths with a couple of illegals who tried to pretend they didn't see us would offer a little diversion, but she-who-ruins-my-fun, called me back just about the time I was going into guard dog mode and I didn't even get a good sniff.  They couldn't resist looking back over their shoulders though, to make sure no one was on their heels--LOL.

The most exciting part of the trip was a silly little teen aged jack rabbit that sat in the road with the morning sun shining through his translucent pink ears, nose twitching, not a care in the world. I went into stalking mode and sneaked up to within six feet of him before he even knew I was there, then he spied me, leaped straight up and took off like a scared rabbit (pun intended) and since I was in a generous mood, and jack rabbits run like the wind, I chose not to pursue the varmint. Had it been a nice, plump, slow cotton tail, or if I was even three years younger I might have been tempted.

Not much else to report today.  I don't get my breakfast until after my exercise but this morning there were two (I can count to three) raw steak bones on top of my kibble and steak bones are almost as good as cow heels. Life could be worse.

PS Do not bother to criticize my grammer or spelling.  I am a dog and as a superior species we are above such things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roxie, want you to know I enjoyed walking with you the last few months. By the way didn't know you could write too (do you have more hidden talents???)

Betty I so enjoyed this write up and the one on Cowboy school.
I think you have a gift... hope you use it and write a book!!!

Arda

Cowboy School said...

Arda,

Roxie says Thank You. So does Betty. It is fun.