Saturday, April 23, 2011

Roxie's Corner

I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes."  Well, if you are riding in the back seat of the pick-up during the day, and confined to the horse trailer at night, ditto.  The most I can tell you about our trip from Arizona to Wyoming is that it kept getting colder, and in New Mexico they have found a new definition for wind.   The folks where we spent the nights were sure nice though, and I got to get out of the truck for more than 5 minutes at a time for my walks with Bets.  The horses liked their accommodations at  Kiva in Socorro and the lady there is one smart cookie--she had at least 3 Basset hounds and 2 other dogs of indeterminate breeding, so the neighborhood is as good as you can get without cows.

In Raton, at Jackson Stables, the owner, who obviously has great taste and perception, thought I looked like a two-year-old.  I was really preening and strutting my stuff when She-who-ruins-all-my-fun told her my true age, but since age is about how you think, rather than how long you have been around, I paid no attention.  Bets and Bob got to stay right there close to the horses both nights so I could keep my ears on everything that was happening in case they needed to be alerted to something dangerous.  Nothing dangerous happened.  You can see from the photo how lovely Raton is. I can highly recommend each place we stopped.  Bets didn't get a pix of Socorro.  She slips up like that if I don't keep on top of things all the time.

The third night we spent in Wellington, CO at Last Chance Equestrian Resort.  No pictures (again), but the place is gorgeous, the hospitality is superb, and LuAnn was having a 4H cattle working evening.  You-know-who wouldn't let me out to help.  LuAnn is cool and has two really smart canines in addition to all her other critters.  A real animal and people person, but she doesn't take many over night horses since she has so many boarders--Bob has known her for a long time.

Not much else happened in CO. Oh, yeah, one more little thing to report: Bob had a fan belt break when the idler (your guess is as good as mine) froze up on his truck, and he lost his power steering and brakes.  I was with him and things looked a little scary for a minute or two, but it happened right at the Wellington exit, so he managed to pull off and get to a little service station in Wellington.  The nice man there got right to work, his wife ran into Ft. Collins to get the part, and they had the truck running again in a couple hours.  Bob said we were really blessed again.  I didn't hear the name of the mechanic and I can't read signs, but there are sure good humans in Wellington--and most other places we go.

We got to Wyoming the 4th day--whatever that is it is a long time for a dog--and I LOVE the TA Ranch!  There are cows!  So far I haven't been able to work any, but just to see and smell the cows is heaven again. Crazy Woman Creek runs through the ranch and wading in the creek in the summer is going to be sooooo much fun!  Bets takes me for a walk each morning, and Elsie (the human puppy) is nicer than I dared hope, although in my opinion Bets and Bob give her entirely too much attention. 
We are loving it here, the humans are very welcoming, and we are getting set for the clinics in  Iowa (I'll get to see Quirt again) and Minnesota where I'll get to see Aiden (sp?) and Lucy.  The two legged critters there are really fun too. Until next time, keep your kibble dry.    

No comments: